Report from the Apache Jackrabbit committee [Michael Dürig] (submitted June 13, 2018)
The Apache Jackrabbit™ content repository is a fully conforming
implementation of the Content Repository for Java™ Technology API
(JCR, specified in JSR 170 and 283). The Jackrabbit content
repository is stable, largely feature complete and actively being
Jackrabbit Oak is an effort to implement a scalable and performant
hierarchical content repository as a modern successor to the Apache
Jackrabbit content repository. It is targeted for use as the
foundation of modern world-class web sites and other demanding
content applications. In contrast to its predecessor, Oak does not
implement all optional features from the JSR specifications and it
is not a reference implementation.
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time
Apache Jackrabbit Oak receives most attention nowadays. All
maintenance branches and the unstable development branch are
continuously seeing moderate to high activity.
Apache Jackrabbit itself is mostly in maintenance mode with most of
the work going into bug fixing and tooling. New features are mainly
driven by dependencies from Oak.
This quarter saw the first few unstable releases from the 1.9 branch,
which will eventually be leading to the next major release.
There is currently an effort under way so simplify Oak deployments
by supporting a broader range of Guava versions, which Oak depends on.
Also modularisation is being further improved by refactoring and
decoupling individual components.
On the other end of the spectrum there is ideas, prototyping and
evaluations being done regarding cloud friendly persistence back-ends.
## Health report:
The project is healthy with a continuous stream of traffic on all
mailing lists reflecting the activity of the respective component.
There is a wide range of topics being discussed on the various Jira
## PMC changes:
- Currently 50 PMC members.
- No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
- Last PMC addition was Robert Munteanu on Mon May 22 2017
## Committer base changes:
- Currently 50 committers.
- No new committers added in the last 3 months
- Last committer addition was Alex Deparvu at Fri Jun 09 2017
- oak-1.2.29 was released on Mon Mar 12 2018
- oak-1.0.42 was released on Wed Mar 21 2018
- oak-1.4.21 was released on Wed Apr 04 2018
- oak-1.6.11 was released on Wed Apr 04 2018
- oak-1.6.12 was released on Mon May 28 2018
- oak-1.8.3 was released on Fri May 11 2018
- oak-1.8.4 was released on Thu Jun 07 2018
- oak-1.9.0 was released on Mon Apr 23 2018
- oak-1.9.1 was released on Thu May 10 2018
- oak-1.9.2 was released on Mon May 21 2018
- oak-1.9.3 was released on Mon Jun 04 2018
- jackrabbit-2.10.8 was released on Mon Jun 04 2018
- jackrabbit-2.12.9 was released on Mon May 07 2018
- jackrabbit-2.14.5 was released on Mon Apr 16 2018
- jackrabbit-2.17.2 was released on Wed Apr 04 2018
- jackrabbit-2.17.3 was released on Fri May 11 2018
## JIRA activity:
- 265 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
- 225 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months